How to travel with no money
1,000 kilometers 21 days 5 different countries and six different cities 0 eros my name is Edwards and in June 2016 I traveled for 21 days with absolutely no money now the first question you might wonder is why why did you do such a thing well I wanted to see what happens when you take money out of your life and more specifically what happens when you take money out of a relationship if I don't have money to offer you why can I give you in a sense what happens when you become independent of money so from Germany to Hungary it was the challenge to travel with absolutely no money I emptied my wallets before leaving home and I hit the road and to toughen up the challenge of its I committed to not use internet so I couldn't use websites that allows you to find accommodation or hosts for free and like this began one of the most incredible experiences I've ever lived in my life when I came back home everybody asked me the same question how how did you survive for 21 days with absolutely no money I can't even survive for one day with no money I have to eat I have to sleep somewhere how did you do that well for transportation I eject the old trip was average height in his life who stop stop ooh all right for food I was asking local restaurants for leftovers and for accommodation.
how to stay if no hotels
I was basically asking random people in the streets hey can I sleep at your place tonight all right I'm not gonna ask you as expected I experienced a lot of rejection a lot but I learned something from that I learned to redefine my view about rejection and there are two things I've learned that I would like to share with you about being rejected the first thing is people are never rejecting you people are rejecting the idea you represent when you are rejecting for example the vast majority of people won't stake you each I King don't do that simply because that's who they are it's in the identity they don't take each hikers you are in each Iker they don't take you end of the story don't take it personally and the second thing is rejection does not mean you won't have anything at all rejection just means that you'll have something a little bit different when I was asking random people in the street hey can I sleep at your place tonight and people would tell me no I wasn't telling my server that means I'm going to have to sleep outside the night no I was just telling myself all right that means I'm going to find someone else live another experience that might be even better that the one I just missed in the end I didn't sleep a single night outside it did happened that at 4:00 a.m.
How to travel with no money
I was still looking for someone in the streets but I always found a roof above my head now coming back to my question from the beginning what happens when you take money out of your life did I find the answer yes I did and the answer is you simply become dependent on people and I have found that when you travel being dependent on people is actually quite fun and can give a deeper meaning to your journey when you are traveling with money you can just pick anything you want you can choose the restaurant where you're going to stay when you were you going to eat the your sauce tell where you're going to stay at the transportation you're going to take but when you decide to travel with no money you just don't have that luxury anymore so when someone gives you something you have to accept it you have no choice but I have found that sometimes when you travel not having the choice is actually the best option you can have when you are checking for example someone stops his car and the car looks a bit dirty the person doesn't seem to speak the language you're speaking you can't just say yeah sorry I'll just wait for another car you count because the person gives you a chance so you have to give them a chance and this is how I ended up spending two hours in the track of a Ukrainian truck driver that didn't speak any languages.
I was speaking during two hours he kept telling me stories in Ukrainian I don't speak Ukrainian and every ten minutes I asked to reply him with the broad smile on my face you get that I don't understand a single word of what you are saying don't you but you know what that was one of the most interesting and funniest experience of my journey because you see I am not so sure that if I would have met this guy in a bar in my own town I would've spent two hours talking with him especially not in Ukrainian but here 1000 kilometers away from home with no money I had no choice and sometimes not even the choice is the best option you can have as you can imagine traveling that way made me meet people I wouldn't have met in my daily life when I was in Vienna I spent one night at the place of a woman of 28 years old that was actually an Afghan refugee she and her family flew Afghanistan when she was only four years old she accepted to host me and during the conversation she explained to me that hospitality as an ocean was something very important in Afghanistan then in Budapest Hungary I spent two nights at the place of a guy of 27 years old who used to be homeless during one year he just left he was just living in the streets and he was now living in a lovely apartment he accepted to host me and again during the conversation he explained me that he knew better than anyone what it meant someone opened the door to you traveling that way made me learn something.
I'll never forget it is that this is not about what you get this is about what you give I began this journey wandering each time I was meeting someone you what can I get from this person can I get a food can I get a ride can I get accommodation and I was so wrong I ended up this journey.
asking myself completely different questions like what can I give to this person can I give a smile my enthusiasm an inspiring story to share an ear to listen to problems sing a song-dance with them anything and switching these questions from the getting to the giving completely changed my journey and I have to say that I lived the best moments of my journey when I was in the giving mindset and not in the gating mindset as a closing am I trying to sell you something am I suggesting that you should just leave your wallets and all your money at home and start traveling the way I did of course not if it's not your thing don't do it all.
I want to say is that traveling that way give me fewer options and therefore made me meet people I wouldn't have met in my daily life it's taught me to drop my fear of approaching people and overcome my fear of getting rejected and to always remind myself to give more than what I received and I truly understood during this travel the meaning of the quotes of Alan Keller that once said life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all thank you very much.
No comments:
Post a Comment